Mike the Tiger: The Roar of LSU
Mike the Tiger has symbolized the spirit and resolve of Louisiana State University for over seventy-five years. Fiercely confident, keenly competitive, marvelously clever, and the only live tiger to reside on a college campus, Mike reigns nobly from his home just outside of Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.
In this completely updated and visually stunning new edition of Mike the Tiger, David G. Baker and W. Sheldon Bivin tell the story of the famed mascot from the Civil War origins of LSU's fighting tiger tradition to the present age of social media. They debunk the myths, confirm the legends, and share priceless behind-the-scenes anecdotes as they chronicle the reign of each of the six Mikes. Included are 70 additional photos, for a total of 200 images, as well as new details about:
- The construction of a spacious natural enclosure for Mike in 2005, complete with waterfall, stream, pool, shrubs, rocks, and grass
- The final years of Mike V, who was hand-raised at LSU, and the outpouring of condolences upon his death
- The exciting arrival and introduction of Mike VI and the establishment of his reputation as possibly the most affectionate and inquisitive personality of any LSU tiger to date
- The naming of a sixth subspecies of tiger, the Malayan, and the current status of global tiger preservation efforts
- Frequently asked questions and answers about Mike's care and lifestyle
Mike the Tiger provides a treat for all who ever said, "Meet me at the tiger cage", for all who still marvel at his regal appearance, and for all who will forever bleed purple and gold.