The University of Louisiana Monroe (ULM) is a nationally known institution of higher education located in northeast Louisiana that opened in the fall of 1931 as Ouachita Parish Junior College. The first class consisted of 379 students who enrolled in English, French, Latin, Spanish, history, government, mathematics, biology, and chemistry courses. In 1934, the college became the Northeast Center of Louisiana State University, and in 1939, the name was changed to Northeast Junior College. In 1950, management of the college transferred from Louisiana State University to the State Board of Education, and the college became Northeast Louisiana State College. In 1970, to reflect the awarding of graduate degrees, the college became Northeast Louisiana University. In 1999, the school officially became the University of Louisiana Monroe. Since this institution first opened its doors in 1931, the name changes reflect its growth from a junior college to what has become a national and international university of choice for students.
University of Louisiana Monroe
Heather R. Pilcher and Cyndy L. Robertson are librarians at the University of Louisiana Monroe who are dedicated to the promotion of ULM and the preservation of the history and culture of the region. The majority of the images in this book are part of the University Archives collection available through the ULM Library Special Collections.
6 x 9 Hardcover
Published: January 22, 2018