Little did Robert A. Long, Victor Bell and Robert White envision what the Long Bell Lumber Company would become, when they formed their lumber business in 1875. The rapid growth of settlement throughout Kansas and Oklahoma and the opening of the Oklahoma Territory gave emphasis to Long Bells expansion. As railroads pushed tracks throughout the area, communities sprang up needing building supplies. Retail yards quickly followed with Long Bell in the forefront. Discovery of oil and gas deposits spurred growth even further throughout the Southwestern portion of the United States. As Long Bell grew, it soon controlled enough production to warrant establishment of a wholesale selling function to move the excess production not needed by the retail chain. By the late 1890's and early 1900's Long Bell was on solid ground, ready to expand from Arkansas and Oklahoma Territory into Louisiana and Texas. Building Mills at Bon Ami, Longville and De Ridder, mills were purchased at Yellow Pine, Woodworth, Ludington and Lake Charles in Louisiana, Pine Bluff, Arkansas, Lufkin and Doucette, Texas. In 1917 a mill was acquired at Quitman, Mississippi ending the expansion in the south. Long Bell was one of the dominant lumber companies in the south. With each new mill came growth in the wholesale selling activities of Long Bell. From starts with The Sabine Valley Lumber Company, Texarkana, Arkansas in 1885, the selling function grew to forty salesmen by the late teens. A purchasing office was established in Tacoma, Washington in 1896 and purchased shingles and western lumber products until 1912 averaging 1600 carloads a year. Treated products were added by 1916, specializing